In order to create a new course on QMplus, you will need to ‘restore’ it from the appropriate faculty template.
This guide covers:
- How to create a new course area in QMplus using a 2 step process:
It assumes that:
- You have Administrator access to the module templates on QMplus
You need to know the following:
- Course full name (shortcode followed by title, e.g. GEG4205 Environment, Nature & Society)
- Course shortname (shortcode followed by year, e.g. GEG4205 -2014/15)
- Course ID (shortcode followed by semester ref and year, e.g. GEG4205-A14) – get this from SITS. Double check the Semester for this course area, it may be that it is only for Semester B and you will have to add the code e.g. GEG4205-B14.
- Course category (school/department/faculty, e.g. HSS, Geography)
Before you get started:
Check that the module is not already present on QMplus
Enter the short code or the course title in the Search box – located to the top right of each page. Search and note the results. If either result shows that this course is already on QMplus, check it for content by clicking on its title. If it is a blank course with no content and no template added, it can be deleted (see ‘delete a course‘ guide). If there is content or a template, check if this is what you want to use and enrol users. Alternatively if a new blank area is required, proceed to the next section.
Step 1: Create a new course (Restore from Template)
1. Once you are logged into QMplus, you can search for the module template by typing ‘MT module template’, using the search bar on the top right hand side of the page. This will bring up the different module templates which you can use. Select the template you would like to use for your course
OR Alternatively, you can find the correct module template from ‘My QMplus’ on the left hand menu. You are likely to have a long list of modules and will have to scroll down to find the template. The module templates are hidden and all contain ‘MTxxx Module Template’ in the name and are relevant to your department/ category. Select the template you would like to use for your course 2. Once you have selected the template it should appear like a blank course page.
- Click on the Restore link to the right of the template name.
5. On the ‘Confirm page’:
- Click Continue
6. On the Destination page: Enter the course category in the search box – this could be the school/department/faculty, e.g. Geography – and click Search
- Select the category you need and click Continue. NOTE: Click the first ‘Continue’ button on the page.
- Deselect ‘Include enrolled users’ and Click Next
- In the box for Course full name, enter the new Course full name systematically as follows: shortcode space hyphen space course full name space hyphen space year’s. e.g. GEG4205 – Environment, Nature & Society – 2014/15
- In the box for Course shortname, enter the Course shortname as follows: shortcode space hyphen space years e.g. GEG4205 – 2014/15
- Click Next
- Click Perform restore
- Click continue
- Check if the title of the module includes the phrase _copy1
- If it doesn’t, continue with the process
- If it does, repeat the check for whether there is a module of the same name or shortcode on the site and identification of which module should be kept and which is for archive and deletion and contact E-learning Unit for further advice
- Under the Settings menu, click Edit settings
12. On the Edit course settings page:
- In the box for Course ID number, enter Course ID (shortcode followed by semester ref and year, e.g. GEG4205-A14, this should have no spacing).
Step 2: Set up appropriate enrolment rules
The above steps will set up a module that will enrol students automatically if they are a current student on the module in SITS. If the teacher needs different enrolment rules, then you will need to make a change. If the teacher would like to manage enrolment MANUALLY:
- Edit the course ID for the course (Under Settings > Edit Settings)
- Add the characters “NS_” to the beginning of the course ID. E.g. “GEG4205-A12” will become “NS_ GEG4205-A12”
If the course requires custom enrolments, then you will need to set these up using the Enrolment Mapper and the Helpdesk will be able to do this for you. Please raise a ticket with the course codes or programme codes.
Please note: As of Summer 2015, Administrators will be able to set up their own custom mappings via the enrolment mapper. Please refer to our guide here: http://www.elearning.capd.qmul.ac.uk/guide/qmplus-enrolment-mapper-admin/
Did this answer your query? If not, you can raise a ticket on the online Helpdesk or email: firstname.lastname@example.org . Alternatively you can also request a particular guide on our guides request tracker.